Thursday, June 2, 2011

Grilled Scup

I've said it once, I'll say it again: nothing beats a man that works in the fishing industry! Myself still being a rather fish novice, he brought home a Scup fish for me to try...



He also found this recipe that was quite nice, and I think would work with several other types of fish. You do need a whole intact fish for this recipe, so keep that in mind. Squeamish need not apply! I don't mind scaling a fish, but I'm not a fan of the gutting part. However, if you're up to this, or happen upon a fresh Scup, please give this a try. I will also say, as a word of advisement, you can NOT substitute dried rosemary for fresh in this recipe -I learned the hard way! Another hard lesson was make sure you OIL THE GRILL grates before placing the fish on the grill!

Grilled Scup With Herbs 



4  Scup, about 1-1/2 lb  

5 sprigs fresh rosemary 

3 tbsp. fresh Parsely 

1-1/2 tsp. Salt 

Freshly ground pepper

1 Garlic clove 

1/3 cup Olive oil 

2 Lemons

Clean and scale the fish, leaving on head and tails if desired.  
Chop the garlic, rosemary and parsley together, add the salt and pepper and a few drops of oil to for a paste.
Make three slits on both sides of each fish. 
Spread some paste in the slits as well as the cavity. 
Combine juice of 1 lemon with remaining oil. 
Grill fish, not too close to coals or heat, basting with oil-lemon mixture. 
Cook about 6 minutes to a side, letting skin get crisp. Serve with lemon slice.



*Recipe courtesy American Seafood Institute, Wakefield, RI


Scup

Cleaned and scaled fish with slits

Herb paste in processor 

Herb paste applied to fish  

Scup on the grill with some corn 


3 comments:

  1. I'm squeamish. When it comes to fish anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can usually get over my squeamish-ness by thinking of the tasty end result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and the FREE FOOD! cool. go, Sammy.

    ReplyDelete